Every 7 days, my Mentor Mesh local community jumps on a online video call to chat about the earlier 7 days – the good, the negative, the wins in the team, & fundamentally, present an possibility for customers to share journeys and assist just about every other.
So in the spirit of sharing I’m putting up something I have been tinkering about with on the side for the very last number of weeks. As I have shared right before, I believe there are a large amount of similarities among Solution Administration and Income, at minimum in how I technique it with my clients.
Lately, wellbeing has caught up with me and I notice that I’m no extended as young as I utilised to be, and I need to choose far better treatment of myself. Never get worried, I’ll be fantastic, I just will need to fork out consideration to what I consume and just take improved treatment of myself.
It did on the other hand, get me on the lookout at solutions from cooking to purchasing at dining establishments or employing meals supply applications (hey I’m hectic concerning work and children). I discovered that there are not specified dietary constraints, diet program behaviors or religious possibilities in meals delivery apps (I will say that 2 did give Vegan, Vegetarian, Minimal Fats, Low Carb & Halal).
So I dug in and started figuring out how to deal with it. I started to build a wireframe (mock-up) of the respective apps and wherever the nutritional selections could be inserted on the software. As I commenced the approach, I leaned on the neighborhood for some know-how. After speaking with a fellow community member (many thanks @Will Fang), he encouraged a distinct solution. A person that focused a lot more on the user flow of the software vs in which options could be added in the app. This manufactured great feeling, particularly because I’m not an personnel of these organizations or how their apps have been constructed.
As I do with most of my thoughts or ideas, I began with study to understand how the food items supply app business was undertaking, how wellbeing in the US was now at.
What I understood was shocking to me:
· Digital Food stuff orders = approx. $26.8B field
· Over 44M buyers in the US after 2020 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/content articles/PMC7044187/
· Hypertension (<130 systolic / <80 diastolic) in adults in US is approximately at 47% https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj_rr_BoLf2AhXBSzABHfIqB4AQFnoECBEQAw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fbloodpressure%2Ffacts.htm&usg=AOvVaw1ybLJ0BjGEYvEiacu_oJ_s
· By 2025, the industry is expected to grow to a 21% share of the total restaurant market https://beambox.com/food-delivery-service-statistics
I also found out that the FDA doesn’t require food delivery apps to include nutrition data. Let me restate that – the FDA doesn’t require nutrition data from food delivery apps. They only require nutrition data if there are over 20 locations.
Now coming from a problem-solving aspect and someone who understands the importance of data and how it can impact decisions, I found this a little troubling. A multi-billion-dollar industry doesn’t leverage the existing information on most restaurants’ websites (yet somehow pull menu items) to establish a data analytic program to setup certain levels that would meet various dietary restrictions.
For example, if someone is on a low-sodium (like I am now, YAY!), paleo, low-carb (Keto) diet, could the Food Delivery company could pull in nutrition data and set a threshold on carbs, sodium, organic, etc. and provide an option. Of course, they will need to disclose that they are not a healthcare organization so the user should consult with their doctor for proper diet/nutrition facts.
Now this is just an idea that I have. If this was something I was going to pursue, I’d follow the following steps:
– User testing for feedback
- This would help confirm if this was an issue or just something that impacts very little of the population & thus wouldn’t be worth the effort financially.
– Determine impact (ROI)
- Customer worth x the potential # of new users/#of extra orders (by adding more options)
- Cost to develop/setup data flow(s) & algorithm(s) to set thresholds between restaurant nutrition info vs specific diet (low sodium/low carb) along with options (vegan, vegetarian, paelo, religious) not already included (*Some apps offer options already)
- Subtract Cost from extra revenue to determine ROI and payback period
– Obtain stakeholder buy-in (I believe this is needed as soon as impact is determined to gain buy in before design)
– Develop User flow
– Collaborate with Developers, Engineers, Marketing, Sales, etc
I hope this provides insight into my thought process & mind (scary thing I know). This is the same process I follow no matter if I’m helping my customers solve a challenge or looking into options for personal reason to make something better.
If one of these companies decided to put the US on the healthy track by at least providing options including religious, dietary, etc – it could have a huge impact which I’ve included below:
Potential Impact of changes (figures are US only) – not including ROI:
– Improve upon obesity rate of 19% in 2- & 19-year-olds
– Improve upon obesity rate 40% of Adults
– Reduce cost of $147B to US Health system for Obesity
Some additional research I’ve found is in the graphic (title pic) which may be the reason this isn’t a bigger problem – I used to be one of the 59% but no longer – I’m on the path to being much healthier!
Have a great weekend!!!